Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Deciding what to paint...

Painting in my studio today was brief, interupted by an event beyond my control. My daughter has moved back in with us and I have to convert most of my woodshop into a bedroom. Unfortunatley, this will take time away from painting, but it needs to be done. The nice thing is my grandkids will be close by and there is so much joy we receive from interacting with them.

.......My Jeep Wagoneer - it's old, no radio, and the drivers seat sits cockeyed because it is broken and I have several 2x4's under it blocking it up from collapsing all-together. But, it's my first 4x4 and it's cool to me. Besides, it runs good and I only paid $800.00 cash for it, so who could ask for more?

The fact that I have no radio gives me lots of time to think on long trips, and my thoughts lately have been about how I make decisions on what subjects to paint. There is an old saying, "If you can paint portraits of people well, you can paint anything", and I believe that is true. In fact, I'm very confident that I can paint anything and do a fairly good job at it. But, just because I can paint something - any subject, doesn't mean it will make a great painting. And as I've grown as an artist, I find myself more and more particular about what I dedicate my time to paint.

I have concluded for the most part that there are several questions I ask myself when choosing a subject or scene to paint, and they aren't nessesarily always prioritized in this order. In fact, the reason why I do a painting may be 90% yes to one of the questions and 10% yes to the rest.

The answer I'm looking for to all of the questions is "YES".

1. Is the subject in line with my goal to paint local scenes and/or florals?
2. Is it a good composition?
3. Is the subject interesting?
4. Is it a subject that appeals to the many?
5. Does it inspire me and challenge me?
6. Will it be a painting that I would want to hang on my wall?

Let me expound a little on each one;

1. Is the subject in line with my goal to paint local scenes and/or florals?
This question is obviously a business minded question. I've worked really hard to get my art selling well so I can make a living with it, and it's important to be consistant and fill the demand
for the subjects that are selling well for me. I could just start painting motorcycles on wet city streets because I find it interesting to me, but it would be a stupid business decision when galleries are asking for more of local scenes and florals. To answer "Yes" to this question is just good business.

2. Is it a good composition?
This is probably the most important question. I believe, if you have a good composition and you do a lousy job painting it, you will still have a good painting. But with a poor composition, the best painter in the world won't be able to make it look good.

3. Is the subject interesting?
I've seen paintings and done paintings in the past that had really good compositions and were exicuted really well, but when it's done, you ask yourself "Why?" Why spend the time painting that? - It's a boring scene or subject.

4. Is it a subject that appeals to the many?
This again is a business question. Obviously, the larger the interest group, the larger chance there will be someone interested in buying the original and the prints of the image you've painted. If you paint unicorns in all of your paintings, your paintings will only appeal to a small group of people.

5. Does it inspire me and challenge me?
This question makes all the difference in world to me. I can do paintings that don't inspire me, but then it's just another painting I have to get done so I can get back to doing one I really have an itch to do. Don't get me wrong, it will still look great, but there's nothing like being inspired and challenged to make you feel you've accomplished something at the end of the project. Creativity is a gift, and I like working with that gift and pushing the envelope. Doing things I've never done before and never thought I could do.

6. Will it be a painting that I would want to hang on my wall?
This question falls inline with "is it an interesting subject", but is more personal. It also helps me think about, what would I do to make it something I'd want to hang on my wall. Sometimes, canvas size or shape can make the difference.

I usually stick to these questions pretty close, but once in awhile I'll toss #4 out the window and paint it anyway. I often find there are more people who like "off the wall" art around than I thought. My paintings of "Galactic Migration" and "Ka Maka Honu (eye of the turtle)" are good examples of that.
http://www.brianmarshallwhite.com/galactic_migration.htm

http://www.brianmarshallwhite.com/kamakahonu.htm

Have a great day!

Aloha!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marshall, Thank you for the excellent lesson on how you decide what to paint. If one wants to successfully develop a following and create an identity as an artist, your philosophy resonates true. Thank you for putting it so eloquently.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Marshall, I found your website through International Guild of Realism, and then on your website your blog. I remember you from elsewhere too and was a joy to visit your website and see all the floral paintings you have produced. I started a series of floral this year. Much like you say it is all about composition, and I am still crawling on composition, so dont think my painting is so good yet. If you can have a look and let me know what you think of them I would appreciated. They are in my blog too. Now I loved this topic, where you have share exactly what I have being thinking of lately. Thanks so much and wrote in a such a pleasant way too. Cant wait to have an opportunity to read your book in the future. :)

6:19 AM  
Blogger Marshall White said...

Thank you Marie and Rose.

Rose, I left a comment on your web blog, but it didn't seem to except or show that my comment was excepted. So, here is my comment about your work that I viewed;

Your work is beautiful!

I love your florals, but especially love your portrait work. It is very good. :)

Aloha,

Marshall White

9:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just got the comment and publish them Marshall, thanks so much for taking the time to look at them and comment. It is a new fase for me and I am finding in floral, portraits and still life where my heart lies. Now that I found your blog and website, going to keep an eye on them. :)

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home