Sunday, August 26, 2007

Publishing your own Art Book.

Fine Art Collections from Hawaii

New Coffee Table Book Available
of Marshall White's art:

This book is a collection of some of his most dynamic paintings to date. Professionally printed, this 8x10 softcover book has 54 pages showcasing 48 beautiful works of art by Hawaii Artist Marshall White, and would make a wonderful addition to your home.


Take a peek: Book Preview


Order one today at: www.Blurb.com


I recently decided to publish a "Coffee Table Book" of my art. I just had to write everyone and tell them on this blog - it's so cool!

For those of you who like my art and collect it, this is a perfect way to collect more than one of my images at a time - and it's affordable. It also makes a perfect gift for loved ones.

For those of you who are artists looking for advise. If you want a professional looking portfolio of your work that is easy to afford - here it is! I didn't come up with this idea myself, another artist I met while painting in the gallery stopped in to visit from California. "Snake" told me he went to www.Blurb.com and downloaded their software, he then put all the digital images of his art together in the Blurb program and ordered his book. It's perfect for artists who want just a few books for a good presentation.

I made a 11x13 book with hardcover for a portfolio to put in galleries that sell my giclee prints. It shows each image, title, size of original and medium painted in. I then listed below the sizes and editions of giclee prints available of the image shown above. This can be updated every six month to keep the galleries up to date with my latest works of art. The price to produce this larger book (over $60.00) was about the same as the portfolios I've been using (plastic binders with plastic sleeves and glossy printed paper of my images), but a much better presentation.

I also made a smaller 8x10 softcover book to make available to the public without the giclee information in it. Every artist should know that it no longer will cost them thousands to publish a book - now they can publish one at a time.

If you intend to sell lots of them and have a large distribution already - buying thousands of them all at once is the best way to make more profits on your book sales. Blurb gives quanity discounts. To get the cost of your book down below what you can get them made for on Blurb, you may still need to get them published by a regular book publisher and make a large up from investment.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job Marshall! You are an inspiration!

Your friend in PA,
Suzana Achey
www.PortraitArtOnline.com

7:40 AM  
Blogger José Carrilho (Go Detail) said...

Hi Marshall,

I like the idea of presenting a portfolio using a book.
It's even more probable that the gallery keeps a book in a good place than a "regular" portfolio.
A couple of months ago I saw on a computer graphics magazine, a couple of portfolios presented inside boxes and they looked quite original.
One day I may try the Blurb service.

Kind regards,

José

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home